Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Shadow Ring 'Hold On To ID'

The Shadow Ring 

Hold On To ID 
Siltbreeze 

     I once had a person move slowly away from me after I started talking up one of my favourite films, 'Happiness' by Todd Solondz. If I'd been riffing on music, The Shadow Rings 'Hold On To ID' would've sent them running and screaming for sure. Playing it to people invariably elicits responses along the lines of “serial killer music”, “you are a sad man Brendon”, or the perennial fave “TURN THIS SHIT OFF!”... yeah, it's honestly that good. I'm talking Jandek levels of musical creepy crawl. My favourite ever response (and fave ever six word music review) was an old flatmate's totally on-point “music to stalk your ex by.” I first heard them via Bruce Russell who released 'Wax Work Echoes' on Corpus Hermeticum back in 1996 and if I'd not been told they were a UK band it would've been so easy to believe they were some lost Xpressway thing. There's such a feeling of damp and mustiness about them, like a Dunedin basement in the middle of winter... some student shit-hole, with a Throbbing Gristle fan djing on RDU, tuned slightly off station... fuckin' perfection!

The Shadow Ring - Hold Onto I.D.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment