Thursday, August 15, 2013

Devilish Mary Duo - Live at the DarkRoom

Devilish Mary Duo
Live - The DarkRoom
Wednesday, August 14.

   Loneliness aches like a mother fucker, but the soundtrack sure is sweet. I caught Devilish Mary Duo at the Darkroom last night doing a set of classic torch songs - "Cry Me A River", "Stormy Weather", Nina Simone "Don't Smoke In Bed" and Doris Day's "Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps" are the ones I recognized - timeless songs, or at least song's from a time before popular music became teen music. These songs aren't "boy meets girl", they're about men and women, heart break and longing. Musically they reminded me of Django Reinhart ("Limehouse Blues" kinda feel), with the guitar and violin weaving a gypsy jazz magic. Vocally, oh man... any post-coital 3am memories you have will be triggered when you hear this woman sing... the way she put across the chorus of "Stormy Weather" had such a feel of heavy breath sexual intimacy I had to look away, some shit is just too personal. I haven't drunk in years, but I walked out into the night reeling... magic stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment